Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Tulle Turkey Wreath

A few weeks ago I came across this pin on Pinterest. I LOVED the wreath and decided I had to make my own. That very day, I loaded up the baby and we went to Joann's. On a side note: The carts at Joann's are not car seat friendly!!

The supplies were pretty minimal: foam wreath form, tulle, brown yarn, a Styrofoam cone and balls, and one sheet of red craft foam. You would also need craft paint if you didn't have any on hand.


Before beginning, I prepped my supplies. First, I painted the cone yellow with craft paint and a sponge so that it would be dry but the time I finished my wreath.

I also did the same for the eyes. I used a smaller foam circle and it worked out perfectly! Since you will be attaching the eyes to the wreath with toothpicks, I went ahead and used those to help keep them from rolling while drying.
Before starting, I also prepped all my tulle. When I first went to Joann's, the only tulle I could find was in the fabric section...the kind that would be used to make tutus. This would work and may be cheaper but I found it much easier to use the spools of tulle ( located down the wedding aisle). It's the perfect width and requires less work.
I purchased 3- spools ( red, yellow and orange) which each had 25 feet. 75 feet of tulle provided me with enough for 2 wreaths! My method for cutting this was also easy. I had a treatment planning book I was using for work. I simply wrapped the entire spool around the book and then cut both edges. Then I repeated with the remaining two spools.


Now that all the prep work was done, I was ready to start my wreath. While watching TV I simply wrapped 1/3 of my wreath form with yard. Very much like my H "wreath" only a lot less hot glue. Next you will start tying the tulle around the remaining 2/3 of the wreath.
I used 4 pieces of tulle before switching to the next color. I used a double knot to tie on the tulle. Keep repeating...
I found the tulle tying to go much faster then wrapping the wreath with the yard. I like to start and end with the same color. I made two of these now and it had worked out perfectly each time.

The last thing you have to do it attach your eyes and nose with toothpicks. Then I just folded my red craft foam in half and cut out a gobbler. That I used hot glue to attach. To be honest, I tried tacky glue first and it did not work so go straight for the glue gun.

Relatively easy to make and adorable!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code