Saturday, June 23, 2012

Why do bad things always come in threes?

It has been quite an eventful week over here, hence the absence in blogging.

It started late last Thursday night when one of our dogs, Lucy, wouldn't bear any weight on her back right foot. Being the overprotective pet owner that I am, we immediately went to the vet with thoughts of IVDD running through my head. They thought she tore her ACL which is around a $1200-$1400 surgery ( Thank God for pet insurance). Two trips to the vet, 4 X-rays and $500 later, the diagnosis was torn/pulled ligament. She is on crate rest and meds for two week which is tough with two other dogs in the house. Thankfully, she seems to be doing OK now!

Tuesday night, I was headed out to a nail appointment. I stepped foot into the garage and noticed a large stream of water. I thought maybe Tim left the door open on the outside fridge but open closer inspection it was clear that it was coming from out water heater. I called my dad to brainstorm a possible diagnosis. He stated that if the water was coming from the bottom, we had problems. Sure enough, that is exactly what happened. The unit had so much sediment in the bottom that we could  not even drain to move it. We had to roll it with all 40 gallons of water in it! Of course this was around 8pm so it was a scramble to get to the store for a new unit. My dad wasn't too pleased to have to help at that hour but of course he came through as always. Two hours and $338 later, we had a new tank and hot water. Turns out my previous water heater was over 20 years old!

Thursday I picked up a client as a favor to one of my staff since I was in that general area. We were driving back to our main office. We were next to a large semi truck and heard this awful noise. We both assumed it was the truck. When we passed the truck and the noise got louder, I realized it was coming from my car. I pulled over and had a flat tire. Luckily, I have three companies that offer me roadside assistance: AAA, State farm and Walker Ford. I just happened to be in a Valvoline parking lot and since I had roadside assistance they quickly popped on my spare, free of charge. My tire looked like Swiss cheese! Apparently, I hit some kind of metal/  debris in the road. I submitted a claim with my warranty and was told it was 50/50 as to if they get approved when it deals with tires. I didn't even make it back to my house before the denied my claim, forcing me to pay $226 for a new tire and alignment.

I am looking forward to putting this week behind me and starting out on fresh ground. Let's hope things are a little less eventful!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code