Sunday, August 26, 2012

Backsplash Dilemma

Within the past few months, I realized I really wanted a backsplash in our kitchen. I feel very blessed to have an updated kitchen. We had granite, new cabinets and brand new appliances when we moved in. None of it I would have picked out, if given the opportunity, but everything is nice and I really have no complaints.

As soon as I started thinking about adding a backsplash, I was on the look out for something I loved. I really love the mosaic glass tiles (and I love the price even more). However, we have Santa Cecilia granite in our kitchen which looks too "busy" with the mosaics. I decided I needed something monotone to balance the granite but didn't want boring.
Luckily, this is a popular granite which means most stores had a sample out for me to test different backsplashes. I think I tried every tile in both Home Depot and Lowe's and couldn't find anything that would go with the granite. Well, I should say anything that would go with the granite that I liked.  

This weekend I headed over to Floor & Decor to check out what they had.I was shocked to find out that HALF their huge warehouse is backsplash tiles! I snapped lots of pictures at their Santa Cecilia style center before getting the help of their designer, Stacy. Here are some of the no go options:


She was super helpful and recommended a tile I loved. I bought a broken clearance piece to take home and show the husband. Here it is in our kitchen: 


The husband was not a fan. It's hard to tell in the picture but the tile has a lot of sheen to it. It looked amazing in the store with cappuccino grout and trim. 

At this point, we ran to Home Depot for some painters tape. We walked by the cabinetry section and spotted a stainless steel tile we both loved. Turns out it is Apect Tile which is a peel and stick option. We decided to take home a box to play around with different designs and to see what we liked. At this point I was leaning toward the vertical design but once I got home I feel in LOVE with the subway tile design. 


So after reading a lot about the product, we are going for it! I am excited and nervous. The install is supposed to be easy based on the reviews. We have to decided against using the peel and stick and opted for the adhesive method. 

With Issac on his way to the area and an extra day off tomorrow, the project may get underway( dare I say finished?) before the labor day weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code