Sunday, July 1, 2012

Easy Pre- Vacation Dinner


This weekend went by so quickly! It consisted of the gym, laundry, giving the dogs a bath and finishing up some work stuff in preparation for my week off. Tim and I are leaving tomorrow for a 4- night cruise so I didn’t have all the typical “prepare for the week errands”. Meaning, I got to skip the grocery store! Not wanting to overindulge BEFORE the cruise, I wanted to whip up a simple yet healthy dinner at home. I turned to an oldie but a goodie, Vegetable Tortellini Soup. It is SO simple yet so delicious! Not to mention it is one of the husbands' favorites!


Ingredients:
      1   Large can crushed tomatoes or tomato sauce (I use whatever I have on hand)
5 cups stock ( I used my homemade)
2 tbsp olive oil
2 crushed garlic cloves
Green Veggies- 1 zucchini, chopped, a handful of kale, a handful of spinach ( I use whatever is in the veggie bin)
1 onion, chopped
2 carrots, chopped
1 tbsp basil
Salt and pepper to taste
1 package fresh whole wheat tortellini
1 tsp oregano
2 Bay leaves
1     1)  Heat the oil. Add all your veggies. Sautee until soft.
2    2)  Add the stock, basil, bay leaf, tomato base. Bring to a boil until blended. Add the tortellini. Bring back to a boil. Reduce heat and let it summer for 5-6 minutes or longer. Add the pepper and salt to taste.


This soup is filling on its own but I decided to made a small batch of Garlic Knots on the side. For an experimental recipe, it turned out delicious! 

 I used a can of mini biscuits I had in the fridge ( A 4 pack is only $1.94 @ Walmart).


I rolled the biscuits out until 3-4 inches in length.

 Roped two of the biscuits together, forming into “knots” tucking the ends under. Repeat with the rest of the biscuits.

 Sprinkle with garlic powder and bake at 400 degrees for 8 minutes.

 In the mean time mix, 1/3 cup oil, 3 tbsp fresh grated Romano, 1 tsp each of garlic, oregano and parsley. 

When the knots are done, coat them in the mixture.


Believe me, they taste as good as they look! :) And I was so proud of myself for not taking the easy road and ordering out! 

I am off to finish packing. Here is our itinerary for the week! I am pretty excited, I have never been to the Keys! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code