Monday, February 18, 2013

Butterfly Baby Shower- Diaper Cake

I am so excited to share some of the projects I have been working on! I mentioned here that I was one of three hostesses planning a shower for our friend, Lee Anne, who is expecting a sweet baby girl this April.
We had our first "planning" meeting back in December where we picked the "Butterfly" theme to match the nursery. Being the overachiever that I am, I immediately set to work on various projects knowing how quickly the time would pass with the Holidays in between.

I knew I wanted to make a diaper cake. I kept an eye on diaper sales and ended up getting a great deal on Pamper's Swaddlers at CVS. Because of the sale, the were pretty wiped up so I went with size 2 diapers, which actually ended up being ideal for the diaper cake!

Here are the supplies I used:
- 75 Size 2 diapers
- Cake Base ( I used 12 inch)
- LOTS of rubber bands
- Glue dots
- Ribbon and/or head bands ( I used both)
- 4 oz baby bottle
- Large bottle of Baby Powder
- Decorations

To start, I rolled all 75 diapers and secured each one with a rubber band around the center. This is mindless and I did it while watching TV. Make sure you open the diaper and begin rolling design side in, so no design is visible on the outside of your cake.

Next, place the bottle of baby powder in the center of the cake base. Begin placing rolled diapers around the powder and secure them all with a rubber band, like so.

Continue adding diapers around the existing row of diapers, securing each with a rubber band. You will keep doing this until you get to the edge of your cake base.
Next, secure the bottle on top of the powder...use double sided tape or glue dots. Then begin adding diaper rows around the bottle, securing each row with a rubber band.
You do not want to go out as far, as you want the tiered effect. Two rows is ideal. You should have just a few diapers left to add one row around the top of the bottle for your third tier.
Now for the fun part...decorating! I picked up some green polka dot ribbon and a solid pink ribbon with white stitching. I used glue dots to secure the ribbon to hide the rubber bands on the bottom two tiers of the cake. For the top tier, I used a hot pink baby headband with a pink ribbon clip.
Butterfly Diaper Cake
At the very last minute, I ended up add a few more butterflies I picked up at the Dollar Tree. Here it is the day of the shower.

What do you think of my first diaper cake? I am really pleased with how it turned out. I think they make great gifts and are relatively easy to put together.

2 comments:

  1. i love that instead of using a boring old plush doll you have a beautiful butterfly craft at the top of your three tier cake.

    Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello,

    I have gone through various blogs, seems like you did really hard work for your posts. Keep it up with this type of posts. We are also serving our clients with Baby Girl Diaper Cake . Hope you will like it!

    ReplyDelete

End of code