Thursday, March 14, 2013

Mini Homemade Chalkboard

I know I am totally late to the game on this but I just used chalkboard paint for the first time! I got an idea to make a small decorative chalkboard for messages and such. At first I started pricing them online and then remembered that I could make one with chalkboard point that would better suit the size and look that I was going for.

It started with a trip to Joann's. I skimmed the wooden crafts section for a more unique shaped piece that could be made into a chalkboard. I ended up going with an 11 X14 plaque. I also picked up some white acrylic paint, a pack of colored chalk and a small tub of chalkboard paint. I made sure to bring coupons so my total was pretty minimal.

When I got home, I gave my board a good sanding to remove any rough spots. I really liked the shape of this plaque because it allowed the edges to be painted a different color that would still be visible. I went with a basic white because I am not 100% sure which room this will end up in. However, it would look super cute with a teal or yellow edge. So first I taped off the front of my board to allow me to paint the edges.

I used an X-acto knife to cut the tape where needed. Then I added two coats of white paint to the edges of the board.
I let it sit in the garage overnight just to make sure that everything was fully dry. My next step involved taping over the outer edge in order to apply the chalkboard paint to the front of the plaque.

I went with a basic black chalkboard although they do have a lot of fun colors of chalkboard paint now.  I applied it with a 1.5 inch foam brush.
I did three thin coats, let it dry 24 hours and then rubbed a thin layer of chalk on the board to condition it. Wipe it off with a damp linen free cloth and you are good to go!

The tape lines stayed crisp and I got the effect that I was looking for on the edge. I am so glad I made my own instead of going with something more traditional. Now I just need to figure out where to hang it!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code