Sunday, October 12, 2014

4th of July Crafts

So this post is LONG overdue! I realized I never shared my 4th of July projects this year. There were a few of them that turned out great so I didn't want to skip over it even though its about 3 months late...

While not technically a project, I picked up some table decorations from Kohls. Not sure if I have ever mentioned it here but I seriously LOVE Kohls. The stackable coupons and the Kohls cash... you really can't do better. I want to say I was able to pick up everything below for under $20.


The next thing I tried my hand at were 4th of July vases. I had some mason jars lying around so I decided to try my hand at painting a mini- flag across three jars.


First I painted one jar blue and the other two white. After they were dry, I used blue painters tape to make my stripes on two of the three jars. I used a star stencil to paint a white star on the blue jar. I had a lot of bleed through on my tape. I think this is because the jar is round and had ridges so there were certain areas where I didn't get the best "seal".



I used a small paint brush to go over the stripes and that made things look much better. I added some cheap $3.95 flowers from the grocery story and displayed them in the bar area of our kitchen.



The last project I completed was a pallet American Flag for the front yard. The company my dad works for is constantly getting rid of pallets so I asked him to keep an eye out  for one that was in decent condition. I didn't realize how large they were, almost too large for where I planned to display it. So Tim and I cut it down to a more appropriate size. I used the same paints I purchase for the jar project above... Chalk paint I purchased on sale at Joann's.

Since its raw wood, I used a primer first knowing it would soak up the paint.

After the primer, I used two coats of each color. When it dried, I stenciled on the white stars.

We placed the pallet in our new Palm Tree that I mentioned here. All the plants are growing so fast I have to trim them constantly!


We also pulled out the pallet flag for Labor Day last month and will likely so the same on Memorial Day.



No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code