Thursday, April 19, 2012

To Garden or Not to Garden

Lately, I have been "pinning" lots of garden ideas on Pinterest. I really have the desire to plant a small vegetable garden in the back yard. But to be honest, when I ready a lot of the blogs I start to feel overwhelmed(pH, Fertilizing, row spacing, specifics times to plant, etc). So this year, I decided to start with some herbs. I picked up 2 mountable planters at Big Lots for $10 each. I thought they would look nice under the two small windows on the back of our house. Then I picked up 6 herb plants at Lowe's with a gift card I had on hand. I opted for Basil, Thyme, Rosemary, Chives, Sage and Dill. While they have been planted, We just got around to mounting them this past weekend. Nothing beats cooking with fresh herbs! 





Seeing them mounted made me realized that that ground below them would be the PERFECT place for a vegetable garden. I even stated to shop around for different garden bed options. Even though Aldi has almost the identical bed for $10 cheaper, this Sam's Club version is a much better quality. I was so tempted to buy it on the spot but decided to come home and measure it out first. It's a bit large but would fit the space well. After chatting with Tim and my mom, they made me realize that this might night be the best idea. Lily, our newest dachshund, is only 8 months old and is still very much into everything! She can easily jump over two stacked paving stones to rummage through the existing plants and steal a piece of mulch! I am positive she would try to eat anything I was actually able to grow. So I ended up putting this on the back burner. 


Yesterday when the ads came in the mail, I noticed Lowe's is having a sale on their potted vegetables in honor of Earth Day ( Sunday April 22nd). They are on sale 2 for $3. A really good deal considering I paid $3.79 for each of my potted herbs. Now the desire to start the garden has been rekindled. Anyone have any advice for keeping 6.5 pound dachshund out of garden beds? I should mention she is FAST! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code