Sunday, May 20, 2012

DIY Body Scrub

I have used Bath and Body Works aromatherapy scrubs for years. With my desire to use more natural products, I have been looking for an alternative. The one thing I dislike about the switch to natural products: the cost! Why are products so dang expensive?! 


Then about a week ago I was getting a pedicure and asked them what they use in their scrub: sugar and scented lotion. She said it saved them so much money! So I decided to make my own body scrub. The best part is I had all the ingredients on hand! I did purchase a two pack of snapware to store it in but that was my only cost! Here is what I did. 
The players:
1) Dr. Bronner's Fair Trade Organic White Virgin Coconut Oil
2) Olive Oil 
3) Raw Brown Sugar
4) Sea salt (optional)
5) Snapware Container


I used a regular mixing bowl since all these items are edible! First I added the Coconut Oil. If you aren't on the Coconut Oil bandwagon yet you are MISSING OUT! This stuff is amazing both to use in the kitchen and as a skincare product.Here is a article of 52 ways to use Coconut Oil. Oh and it smells delicious! 
There really are no precise measurements. You will want to get it to a consistency you like.First, I added my coconut oil to the bowl. (FYI: THE melting point of coconut oil is 76 degrees, anything cooler then that and it will be quite solid). 
Next I added my sugar, olive oil and a bit of coarse Sea salt. I chose sugar over salt because it is gentler on the face. I just put in a little salt for a bit of coarseness. 
Mix your ingredients until you achieve the desired consistency. Then place in a storage container. 
I chose the Snapware containers for two reasons: 1) I wanted something that sealed well to prevent water from coming in and 2) I wanted something that would fit in the shower well. This worked like a charm! 
I used the scrub for the first time yesterday and it is just as good as anything you can purchase! I LOVE the smell of the pure coconut oil but you could infuse it with other essential oils as well. My skin was left feeling soft without any oily residue. I love that I know exactly what is in it and saved a ton of money (Bath and Body Works sells their scrubs for close to $16 for a similar sized container). 

Hope you enjoy as much as I do! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code