Sunday, January 22, 2012

How can one mess up house numbers?


When we bought out house back in 2010, we knew going into it that it was a flip. We were so in love with the house at the time of purchase that I think we were oblivious to a lot of the "shortcuts" taken to make the house sale ready. After purchasing the house, things really began to show (bad paint jobs, Spackle on everything, half painted closet door, entry doors cut to the wrong size, etc, etc, etc). At the time, we did not know the true story behind our house ( that is deserving of its own post!).


One of the things that have been bothering me for the longest time were our house numbers. They were crooked and someone clearly did not know how to paint them, as evidenced below.
Checkout the AWESOME paint job!



I forgot to take a "before" while the numbers will still up!

So one Saturday, I decided to take them down. It was then that I found out they were literally glued onto the house. Which lead me to believe they were painted green when the house was painted then someone took a brush and painted the fronts white.Hence the two toned numbers in the picture above. So a crowbar and some elbow grease later, the numbers came down. As did some stucco. Not in the plan.
Don't you love short cuts! I wish you could have seen how crooked they were!
Now my problem was twofold: 1) I had to do some stucco repair and 2) I did not have the paint to my house. After about 5 trips to Lowe's to finally color match the paint, we had a match!

After I matched it to a test pot of interior satin, I purchased a quart of exterior paint to have on hand.

Onto the Stucco repairs. I used this.

Worked perfectly.


And ended up with this:


After some paint:

What patch?
Things were starting to look much better! Since we were working with a clean slate, we could have technically just bought some numbers and screwed the right into the stucco. However, I liked the idea of an address plaque. Of course they did not come in white. So I purchased a black one, along with some white numbers, a can of Oil Rubbed Bronze (ORB) spray paint (All our door hardware is ORB) and a can of white satin spray paint. The results:


These numbers are made for this plaque and self adhere.
 
And the final product, all hung up! 

What I thought would be a simple, one day project ended up to being much more work than I thought. However, the end result is a 100% improvement. I am still toying around with the idea of spray painting the edges of the plaque ORB. What do you think?







No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code