Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Mousepads

My second Pinterest project was to make mouse pads for both our desk at home and my office. At home we were using the Dell one that came with our All-in-One, At work...Nada!

I thought this project would be relatively easy to do. My inspiration was from Modern Day Moms.

I purchased a flat sheet of cork at the craft store, as opposed to a roll, as I thought this would be hard to flatten. The only other items needed was Steam-A-Seam 

 And a Quilters Square. I also picked up this bandanna  for $1 as I wanted two different Mouse pads.   I used the template from my inspiration picture linked above. However, I will admit that it is smaller then it looks in the pictures.
First I traced and cut my cork to size.

You can easily make 4 mouse pads from one Quilters Square if you don't mind them all being the same, (or maybe to use as gifts?)

I am a little obsessed with my new ironing board cover (purchased from this Etsy Seller). I was afraid I would get steam-a-seam on it so I covered my work space.



 Next, trace your shape onto the Steam-a-Seam. Steam your fabric, pull of the back of the Steam-a-seam and press together with your hand. It should stick. Once it is adhered, cut the fabric/Steam-a-Seam using traced lines and then adhere to your pre-cut cork with your iron. I left some cork exposed and then went back and traced it with Sharpie.

The finished product(s).

 Since I had enough cork for one more, I decided to try fabric Modge Podge to adhere the cork and fabric. This was not as successful. It showed through onto the fabric unevenly and did not give a smooth look like the Steam-a-Seam does. I ended up trashing #3...you win some, you lose some!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code