Sunday, January 15, 2012

Seamstress in the Making? Unlikely but....

I have wanted a sewing machine for some time now. Problem is, I have no idea how to sew. I made the curtains in my guest room with hem tape ( this was both because I didn't have a sewing machine and my lack of skill). I have as a desire to learn how to sew but when it comes time to actually sit in front of the sewing machine and get to work, I get nervous.

Growing up, both of my grandmother's had sewing machines. My maternal grandmother's sewing machine was a Sears's model from the late 1960's early 1970's in that very fine avocado green color. My mother inherited this a number of years ago and they thing was nothing but problems: constantly breaking and in the repair shop. Mind you, my mother does not sew either so perhaps this was from user error? My paternal grandmother is quite crafty and actually a very good seamstress. She has a 1940's (maybe older) singer model sewing machine that has its very own table it pops up from. The thing is a cast iron antique. She has attempted to teach me on the machine over the years but its ancient and not so practical in comparison to modern day machines.

So back to my desire to purchase a sewing machine. Obviously, this was not something I wanted to spend a lot of money on. I wanted something inexpensive that I could practice on. I was not even opposed to a second hand machine from Craig's list. My only fear of this was I would not know if I purchased a broken machine or if I myself broke it.

So I decided to ask for a sewing machine for Christmas. One of my favorite blogs is Young House Love and Sherry, a self proclaimed novice sewer like myself, had a lot of luck with a Brother sewing machine. So on the list it went. Target had a great sewing machine on sale for $54 on Black Friday but I passed hoping to get this Brother  model for Christmas.

 Sure enough, my in-laws came through. Here she is in all her glory:




I will admit that I haven't done more than take her out of the box, as of yet. Prior to getting the sewing machine, I had plans to make a table runner with my handy dandy hem tape. I have already cut the runner to size, I just need to sew the edges. So this will be the first project I attempt.Easy right? I guess we will find out soon enough. 
My goal is to be able to make a quilt one day. Baby steps! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code