Thursday, February 2, 2012

And the list goes on...

In light of the approaching tax season, yesterday I decided to start pulling together receipts on house related projects and expenses over the past year. Let me just say, we have been busy! Part of the reason I started this blog was to help keep track of projects (both big and small) at our house. I thought it would be fun to share a list of what we completed in 2011 along with the ongoing "To-do list of 2012". So here goes nothing!
1) New gutters
2) Landscaping
3) Irrigation
4) Trim Work ( Crown, replacing Clam shell moulding and new doors- bi fold, pocket and swing)
5) Wood Floors (twice!)
6) Storm Door
7) Painting
8) New Vinyl Fence
9) Furniture
10)Roof Repairs
11) New Faucets
12) New fans/lighting
13) TV's

Without getting into specifics, I was floored to learn we spent over $30k in home improvements this year. Insane right?! And to think about what that would of cost if we weren't DIYers? I feel very fortunate to have a handy father and a wanna-be-handy husband...both of whom are TROOPERS when dealing with me and my bright ideas. :)

So after shelling out over $30K, you would think this girl would be done right? I wish ( not really, if I am honest... I love this stuff). I have learned that the beauty of home ownership is that you are never DONE. So here are some things I want to accomplish this year. Some I have already done believe it or not. Some will not be done this year due to the budget but they remain on "the list".
1) Tackle the garage- paint, storage, work bench, shelving (it needs help)- ( Done and Done)
2) Make the attic ready for storage
3) Finish landscaping in the front of the house ( plants to frame garage and stone edgers)-( Done!)
4) Replace door into the garage and clam shell moulding (Done!)
5) Paint the front door and trim, get new ORB hardware ( Door painting...Done!)
6)Paint the exterior trim on the house ( I feel like this would make a perfect project for the Hubs this summer)
7) Install Crown in two guest bedrooms
8) House numbers ( Done!)
9) Add gate on right side of house to conceal trash/recycling (Done!)
10)Get pavers installed on left side of house into backyard (Done!)
11) Get estimate on pavers for back deck, front deck and garage ( this is a HUGE expense and will likely not happen this year)- (Front deck tile Done! )
12)  Add area rug to dining room (Done!)
13) New computer chair (DONE!)
14) Sew table runner for dining room table
15) Add glass to protect tables in Family Room
16) Screen in back patio ( after pavers or before?)
17) Build a shed (three part post: Phase 1, 2 & 3)
18) Add a vegetable garden
19) Make window seat at window in front of Master Bedroom
20) Replace gates in front of house and remove the excessive amount of lighting ( lights gone, new fencing done! )

So with all that out in the open, I am hoping to hold myself to completing at least 75% of these projects this year. What are your house goals?!

No comments:

Post a Comment

End of code